Re: Backup docs

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Backup docs
Date: 2012-06-05 14:48:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/continuous-archiving.html

> I would like to see that page changed to list pg_basebackup as the
> "default" way of doing base backups, and then list the "manual
> way" as an option if you need more flexibility.

That sounds reasonable to me, as long as we don't lose information
on the alternatives. I agree that we should *emphasize* the easiest
steps to set up and run. The lower-level alternatives could even be
moved to a separate "tuning" section. (Speaking of which, if we
have such a section I think it would make sense to describe the
rsync techniques which minimize network traffic in the docs.)

Basically, a simple, straightforward description of the easy way to
get going is desperately needed, with alternatives separated out a
bit, with some hint as to when it might be worth going to the extra
trouble..

-Kevin