Re: pg_upgrade --logfile option documentation

From: "A(dot)M(dot)" <agentm(at)themactionfaction(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade --logfile option documentation
Date: 2012-03-08 21:44:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mar 8, 2012, at 4:37 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> On tor, 2012-03-08 at 10:06 -0500, A.M. wrote:
>>> The only reason I truncate them on start is that I am appending to
>> them
>>> in many places in the code, and it was easier to just truncate them
>> on
>>> start rather than to remember where I first write to them.
>>>

>> mktemps?
>
> I don't want to see some tool unconditionally writing files (log or
> otherwise) with unpredictable names. That would make it impossible to
> clean up in a wrapper script.

The point of writing temp files to the /tmp/ directory is that they don't need to be cleaned up.

You really prefer having log files written to your current working directory? I don't know of any utility that pollutes the cwd like that- it seems like an easy way to forget where one left the log files.

Cheers,