Re: Postgresql Replication Performance

From: Aleksej Trofimov <aleksej(dot)trofimov(at)ruptela(dot)lt>
To: sgupta <saurabh(dot)b85(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql Replication Performance
Date: 2011-12-29 14:33:45
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 12/29/2011 11:33 AM, sgupta wrote:
> I am doing POC on Posgtresql replication. I am using latest version of
> postgresql i.e. 9.1. There are multiple replication solutions avaliable in
> the market (PGCluster, Pgpool-II, Slony-I). Postgresql also provide in-built
> replication solutions (Streaming replication, Warm Standby and hot standby).
> I am confused which solution is best for the financial application for which
> I am doing POC. The application will write around 160 million records with
> row size of 2.5 KB in database. My questions is for following scenarios
> which replication solution will be suitable:
>
> If I would require replication for backup purpose only
> If I would require to scale the reads
> If I would require High Avaliability and Consistency
> Also It will be very helpful if you can share the perfomance or experience
> with postgresql replication solutions.
>
> Thanks
>
> --

Which replication solution will be suitable depends on your needs and
database architecture.
Starting with PGCluster, I can say only, that PGCluster last released in
2005 year, so you can not use it with Postgres 9.0 =)
Slony-I is a good solution if you want to have cascade replication from
Slave to Slave or you want to replicate only several parts of your
database (because Slony performs table level like replication)
PGPool-II is an advanced load balancer and pooling solution. Which also
has replication support. Pgpool-II is query based replication utility,
which performs queries on several database servers. If you are looking
for performance and stability I do not recommend using PGPool as
replication software.
Postgres Streaming replication is WAL based replication, so using this
type of replication you will have absolutely identical database servers,
what is best choice for HA and scaling reads. Also this choice is not
practically affecting performance, because it is not adding any latency
to database layer.

Also you could read about difference between Slony and Streaming
replications here
http://scanningpages.wordpress.com/2010/10/09/9-0-streaming-replication-vs-slony/

--
Best regards