Re: includeifexists in configuration file

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: includeifexists in configuration file
Date: 2011-11-16 14:16:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 16-11-2011 02:28, Greg Smith wrote:
> By recent popular request in the ongoing discussion saga around merging the
> recovery.conf, I've added an "includeifexists" directive to the
> postgresql.conf in the attached patch.

I'm not following the merging recovery.conf thread but isn't it worth emitting
at least an WARNING message when the file does not exist?

Something like

WARNING: could not open configuration file "/foo/missing.conf", skipping

Let's suppose a DBA is using this new feature to include some general company
recommendations. If (s)he mistyped the name of the file, the general
recommendations will not be applied and the DBA won't be even warned. That's
not what a DBA would expect.

--
Euler Taveira de Oliveira - Timbira http://www.timbira.com.br/