Re: Database selector

From: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database selector
Date: 2011-08-09 23:50:33
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 10.01.2011 04:50, Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
> On 06.01.2011 12:23, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>> Le 28/12/2010 20:18, Erwin Brandstetter a écrit :
>>> (...)
>>> Testing v.1.12.1 (Dec 13 2010, rev: REL-1_12_2) on Windows XP Pro, SP3
>>> To be sure, I downloaded the latest version and upgraded. But there
>>> have
>>> been no more changes in the meantime. Connection tool still does not
>>> behave as expected. I have tried with a couple of different
>>> databases an
>>> users.
>>>
>>> On a closer inspection only the field "Uername" fails. "Database" seems
>>> to be filled correctly. So, something has definitely changed, but half
>>> the fix does not seem to work as expected.
>>>
>>> Steps to reproduce:
>>> - Open query tool
>>> - Select<new connetion> from the connection tool --> popup "Connect
>>> to Server" appears, "Server", "Database", "User" are filled with
>>> current
>>> values.
>>> - Pick a new server --> new values are filled in for database and
>>> user.
>>> "Database" behaves as expected: identical name as in current
>>> connection if available on the new server.
>>> "Username" fails, however. Although a user of the same name is
>>> available, some other value is filled in. On the first try some
>>> (seemingly random) username from the list of available users is picked.
>>> On subsequent tries it is always the first one on the list.
>> I tried on 1.12.2+ and it just works. Are you sure you have the exact
>> same user? no odd spaces or invisible characters?
>
> I tested once more with two different sets of databases. No odd or
> invisible characters.
> Among other: username: "postgres", database: "event"
>
> In each set of databases I switched between two almost identical
> database clusters, the destination being a copy of the source.
> Results were as described above: the matching database is filled in
> but the username is lost in translation.
>
> Maybe someone else can run a test to add evidence? It's easy: all you
> need is two databases of the same name (like postgres) which share a
> user of the same name (like postgres) ...

The recent case of "pkAscending not initialized" made me think. This one
is just like the other: Guillaume cannot see the error I get on Windows
XP. Maybe another variable not initialized?

Testing in pgAdmin 1.14.0 Beta 3 on Win XP Pro. pg 8.4.8 and 9.0.4. I
tried a couple of combinations on two completely different PCs.
The issue is still there. I get a random pick (but the same under
identical circumstances) in the field "Username" where I would expect
the same username as in the present connection, which is available at
the new "server".

This may seem unimportant, but if you use the feature a lot, switching
back an forth between test and productive servers with many roles, it is
a nuisance.

Regards
Erwin