Re: Postgres 8.4 memory related parameters

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Claire Chang" <yenhsiac(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Postgres 8.4 memory related parameters
Date: 2011-08-04 20:38:35
Lists: pgsql-performance

Claire Chang <yenhsiac(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> hi, We recently bought a 4 8core 128G memory database server and I
> am setting it up to replace our old 4 4cores 128G memory database
> server as a master. The memory related settings that we use on
> the old machine seem a bit wrong according to the experts on IRC:

> max_connections = 600

You're probably going to get better performance by setting that to 2
to 3 times the number of actual cores (don't county hyperthreading
for this purpose), and using a connection pooler to funnel the 600
user connections down to a smaller number of database connections.

> shared_buffers = 32GB

I seem to remember seeing some benchmarks showing that performance
falls off after 10GB or 20GB on that setting.

> effective_cache_size = 64GB

Seems sane.

> work_mem = 5MB

You could bump that up, especially if you go to the connection pool.

> maintenance_work_mem = 1GB

OK, but I might double that.

> wal_buffers = 64kB

This should definitely be set to 16MB.