Re: patch for 9.2: enhanced errors

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: patch for 9.2: enhanced errors
Date: 2011-07-18 21:01:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom,

> Either one. They both have the potential to reference more than one
> column, so if the committee had meant errors to try to identify the
> referenced columns, they'd have put something other than COLUMN_NAME
> into the standard. They didn't.

I'm less concerned about the standard here and more concerned about what
helps our users. Having column names for an FK error is *extremely*
useful for troubleshooting, particularly if the database has been
upgraded from the 7.4 days and has non-useful FK names like "$3".

I agree that column names for CHECK constraints is a bit of a tar baby,
since check constraints can be on complex permutations of columns.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.