Re: WIP: Fast GiST index build

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: Fast GiST index build
Date: 2011-07-14 20:53:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 14.07.2011 23:41, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> Do you think using "rightlink" as pointer to parent page is possible during
> index build? It would allow to simplify code significantly, because of no
> more need to maintain in-memory structures for parents memorizing.

I guess, but where do you store the rightlink, then? Would you need a
final pass through the index to fix all the rightlinks?

I think you could use the NSN field. It's used to detect concurrent page
splits, but those can't happen during index build, so you don't need
that field during index build. You just have to make it look like an
otherwise illegal NSN, so that it won't be mistaken for a real NSN after
the index is built. Maybe add a new flag to mean that the NSN is
actually invalid.

--
Heikki Linnakangas