Re: Functional dependencies

From: Darren Duncan <darren(at)darrenduncan(dot)net>
To: Alpha Beta <dzjitaru(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Functional dependencies
Date: 2011-06-14 18:29:17
Lists: pgsql-general

Alpha Beta wrote:
> Hi list, (newbie with databases)
>
> I was looking out in net about how can we determine or find all
> functional dependencies in a relational database, but didn't find.
>
> So can please anyone here tell me if functional dependecies for each
> table of a relational database can be found explicitly or
> we need algorithms for it or any other way?
>
> Best regards!

Look for pairs of columns/attributes X and Y (or X may be a set of
columns/attrs) where, for every row/tuple having the same value for X, the
row/tuple always has the same value for Y. In this situation, for the data you
have at least, there would seem to be a relationship where X determines Y and Y
depends on X. Use an algorithm that does this looking for pairs. -- Darren Duncan