Re: procpid?

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Greg Smith" <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: procpid?
Date: 2011-06-14 18:20:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> Doing this presumes the existence of a large number of tools where
> the author is unlikely to be keeping up with PostgreSQL
> development. I don't believe that theorized set of users actually
> exists.

There could be a number of queries used for monitoring or
administration which will be affected. Just on our Wiki pages we
have some queries available for copy/paste which would need multiple
versions while both column names were in supported versions of the
software:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Lock_dependency_information
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Lock_Monitoring
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Backend_killer_function

I agree that these are manageable, but not necessarily trivial.
(You should see how long it can take to get them to install new
monitoring software to our centralized system here.) I think that's
consistent with the "save up our breaking changes to do them all at
once" approach.

-Kevin