Re: Small SSI issues

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>,<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Small SSI issues
Date: 2011-06-12 14:59:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 10.06.2011 18:05, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>> o There is no safeguard against actually wrapping around the
>>> SLRU, just the warning
>>
>> Any thoughts on what we should do instead? If someone holds open a
>> transaction long enough to burn through a billion transaction IDs
>> (or possibly less if someone uses a smaller BLCKSZ), should we
>> generate a FATAL error?
>
> FATAL is a bit harsh, ERROR seems more appropriate.

If we don't cancel the long-running transaction, don't we continue to
have a problem?

>> Do checks such as that argue for keeping the volatile flag, or do
>> you think we can drop it if we make those changes? (That would
>> also allow dropping a number of casts which exist just to avoid
>> warnings.)
>
> I believe we can drop it, I'll double-check.

I see you committed a patch for this, but there were some casts which
become unnecessary with that change that you missed. Patch attached
to clean up the ones I could spot.

-Kevin

Attachment Content-Type Size
ssi-nocast-1.patch application/octet-stream 8.2 KB