Re: Adding an example for replication configuration to pg_hba.conf

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Selena Deckelmann <selena(at)chesnok(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding an example for replication configuration to pg_hba.conf
Date: 2011-05-19 03:07:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Two things that could be changed from this example to make it more useful:

-Document at least a little bit more how this is different from the
"all/all" rule. I can imagine users wondering "do I use this instead of
the other one? In addition? Is it redundant if I have 'all' in there?
A little more description here aiming at the expected FAQs here would
make this much more useful.

-The default database is based on your user name, which is postgres in
most packaged builds but not if you compile your own. I don't know
whether it's practical to consider substituting that into this file, or
if it's just enough to mention that as an additional doc comment.