Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Dan Ports <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>, Kevin Grittner <kevin(dot)grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, andrew <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, cbbrowne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>, greg <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers
Date: 2011-04-20 19:42:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4/20/11 12:35 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Well, no, that's not the whole story. To me, what the above idea
> implies is shifting more of the burden of fixing up patches away from
> the committer and back to the patch author. Instead of spending time
> fixing up not-quite-ready patches myself, I'd be much more ready to
> tell the patch author "do X, Y, and Z, and come back next month".

Yes, definitely! For that matter, booting a patch which got no review
is less of a problem if we're only booting it for 3 weeks.

The whole purpose of the CFs was not to help submitters -- it was to
help reviewers. If we just wanted to help submitters, we'd do
Continuous Integration, and review all the time. But the reviewers need
"time off".

I think we should try this for 9.2. Given the accumulation between then
and now, I think the first CF should be 2 weeks, and then we can move to
monthly/weeklong CFs after that. So it would look like:

CF1: July 16-31
CF2: August 1-7
CF3: September 1-7
CF4: October 1-7