Re: pg_upgrade bug found!

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade bug found!
Date: 2011-04-08 20:30:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> -- It will not lock any tables but will generate I/O.

add:
IMPORTANT: Depending on the size and configuration of your database,
this script may generate a lot of I/O and degrade database performance.
Users should execute this script during a low traffic period and watch
the database load.

> --
> CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE pg_upgrade_fix AS
> SELECT 'VACUUM FREEZE pg_toast.' || c.relname || ';'
> FROM pg_class c, pg_namespace n
> WHERE c.relnamespace = n.oid AND
> n.nspname = 'pg_toast' AND
> c.relkind = 't'
> ORDER by c.oid;
> \copy pg_upgrade_fix TO 'pg_upgrade_tmp.sql';
> \i pg_upgrade_tmp.sql
>
> A fix will be included in upcoming Postgres releases 8.4.8 and 9.0.4.
> These releases will remove the need for the above script by correctly
> restoring all TOAST tables in the migrated databases.

add: However, users of databases which have been already migrated still
need to run the script, even if they upgrade to 9.0.4.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.