Re: Values larger than 1/3 of a buffer page cannot be indexed.

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>, Brian Hirt <bhirt(at)me(dot)com>, Dmitriy Igrishin <dmitigr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Viktor Nagy <viktor(dot)nagy(at)toolpart(dot)hu>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Values larger than 1/3 of a buffer page cannot be indexed.
Date: 2011-03-29 02:28:41
Lists: pgsql-general

On 03/14/2011 09:25 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:

>> Unless the point is to guarantee uniqueness of the "long-long value"s.
>
> md5 will do that too: the main thing you lose going to hash indexing
> is ordering.

MD5 will *probably* guarantee the uniqueness of the values. Personally
I'm not a big fan of betting on that, and tend to like to test for
equality against the hash first and then, if the hashes are equal,
against the values.

I have several md5 collisions in one of my tables, so it's far from
impossible. In fact, it's much more likely than you'd expect thanks to
the birthday paradox.

--
Craig Ringer