Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage
Date: 2011-02-14 12:24:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Cédric,

thanks for taking a step back and bringing in the bigger picture.

On 02/14/2011 11:57 AM, Cédric Villemain wrote:
> one way might be to suggest apt-preferences here, I believe.

Agreed, might be the cleanest way from a technical POV.

> Is debian.postgresql.org to host and distribute the debian packages
> (and the ubuntu's) linked with readline and openSSL something that we
> want and assume ?

Magnus confirmed on IRC, that they'd be willing to host such a repository.

> So far, it looks like. Before pushing more efforts here, I would like
> people who not agree to stand up. Other options exists like a 3rd
> party website, but this is not my favorite solution.

Well, I consider providing packages for more major versions in parallel
a good service anyway. (So this probably deserves its own thread).

But yes, to solve the OPs issue with such a custom repository, we'd need
to be prepared to be responsible for providing a Postgres binary that
links to readline and OpenSSL at the same time. Are we?

Regards

Markus Wanner