Re: limiting hint bit I/O

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: limiting hint bit I/O
Date: 2011-01-14 19:01:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Freezing sooner could be viewed as an alternative to hint bits.

Exactly. And as your test showed, things run faster frozen than
unfrozen with hint bits set.

> Trouble is, it breaks Hot Standby, badly.

You're really starting to worry me here. Both for performance and
to reduce the WAN bandwidth demands of our backup strategy we are
very aggressive with our freezing. Do off-hours VACUUM (FREEZE)
runs break hot standby? Autovacuum freezing? What are the
symptoms?

-Kevin