Re: limiting hint bit I/O

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>,"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: limiting hint bit I/O
Date: 2011-01-14 18:52:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Background freezing plays havoc with Hot Standby

I must have missed or forgotten the issue of background vacuums
and hot standby. Can you summarize why that's worse than hitting
thresholds where autovacuum is freezing things?

> this test is sufficient to show that eliminating hint bits
> altogether would a significant regression on some workloads.

That wasn't clear to me from what you posted -- I thought that the
reduced performance might be partly (largely? mostly?) due to
competition with the background writer's work pushing the hinted
pages out. Maybe I'm missing something or you didn't post
everything you observed in this regard....

-Kevin