Re: installing from source in Windows

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Turner, John J" <JJTurner(at)statestreet(dot)com>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: installing from source in Windows
Date: 2010-10-18 02:46:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Turner, John J wrote:
> I'm reluctant at this point to wipe out my MinGW and MSYS and start from
> scratch with Windows SDK and/or VS-ee...

Well, you should probably get over that, because all of the official
builds of 9.0 don't really care about supporting MinGW anymore. See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/install-windows.html for
notes on this. I wouldn't be surprised to find the capability to build
with MinGW is broken in various ways now, because it doesn't get tested
anymore that I'm aware of. I gave up on that toolchain the minute the
newer Visual Studio alternative was available, and tossing out MinGW for
this purpose has been nothing but an improvement for me.

--
Greg Smith, 2ndQuadrant US greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support www.2ndQuadrant.us