9.0rc1 - query of view produces unexpected results

From: Nathan Grange <nathang(at)actarg(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 9.0rc1 - query of view produces unexpected results
Date: 2010-09-12 01:31:04
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello list,

I don't know if it's me, or maybe even the way I designed these
dependencies, but I'm getting unexpected results when i query a specific
view.

I can only reproduce the unexpected results with a very specific set of
tables, views, and relationships.
The bad results are only manifest in 9.0 (beta and rc1). Version 8.4.4
produces the expected results.

To sum up the issue ...
1. View register_orders_view contains only 1 row of data ...

/ttype | ropnum | shop_name
-------+--------+-----------
or | 30129 | District1/

2. The query ...
/
select * from register_orders_view where ttype='z'/

... should return no rows, however all rows are returned.

Included are a buildDemo.sql file that will create the necessary tables
and views, and a runDemo.sql to demonstrate the query from #2 above.

If this is a valid result, can someone please help me understand why?
If this is a case of "not the best" architecture a explanation would be
greatly apprecitated.
Or if this is a bug with 9.0, what actions do I take to make the
PostgreSQL team awares?

nate