Re: Deadlock bug

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Nicolas Barbier <nicolas(dot)barbier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Deadlock bug
Date: 2010-08-25 22:56:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 8/25/10 1:35 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> If the row is "key share" locked (as opposed to "tuple share" locks we
> already have), then an UPDATE would only work if it was a non-HOT
> UPDATE. Yes, that would save us some effort in working out whether to
> allow the UPDATE or not. It *is* more restrictive than strictly
> necessary, but much better than the current situation. So at least we
> know that part of it has an easy solution.

I agree that this would be an improvement.

It still has the issue of being baffling to users (why did I get a
deadlock this time, and not THAT time?) but current behavior has that
problem. Heck, current behavior is often baffling to *me*.

The other thing which came out of this incident (and many user reports)
is the rather extreme opacity of our locking information, despite the
improvements of the last 2 versions. However, I don't have a proposal
on how that should be fixed .... yet.

--
-- Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.