Re: git: uh-oh

From: Michael Haggerty <mhagger(at)alum(dot)mit(dot)edu>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: git: uh-oh
Date: 2010-08-18 16:09:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> Exactly. IMHO, the way this should work is by starting at the
> beginning of time and working forward. [...]

What you are describing is more or less the algorithm that was used by
cvs2svn version 1.x. It mostly works, but has nasty edge cases that are
impossible to fix.

cvs2svn version 2.x uses a better algorithm [1]. It can be changed to
add an "exclusive" mode, it's a simple matter of programming. I will
try to find some time to work on it.

Michael

[1]
http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/source/browse/cvs2svn/trunk/doc/design-notes.txt?view=markup