Re: JSON Patch for PostgreSQL - BSON Support?

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Joseph Adams <joeyadams3(dot)14159(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Charles Pritchard <chuck(at)jumis(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JSON Patch for PostgreSQL - BSON Support?
Date: 2010-08-16 17:25:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 16/08/10 20:17, Joseph Adams wrote:
> Also, an idea would be to make json_send and json_recv (binary JSON
> send/receive) use BSON rather than JSON-encoded text, as
> sending/receiving JSON-encoded text is exactly what text send/receive
> do.

The usual reason to use the binary format is performance, so it doesn't
make much sense to use BSON for that if the internal storage format is
something else. It would most likely be slower, not faster, than sending
the string as is.

Of course, if you switch to using BSON as the internal storage format,
then it's natural to use that for the binary I/O format too.

--
Heikki Linnakangas