Re: MERGE command for inheritance

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Boxuan Zhai <bxzhai2010(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MERGE command for inheritance
Date: 2010-08-11 16:49:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Do we really think this is anywhere near committable now?

There's a relatively objective standard for the first thing needed for
commit--does it work?--in the form of the regression tests Simon put
together before development. I just tried the latest merge_v102.patch
(regression diff attached) to see how that's going. There are still a
couple of errors in there. It looks to me like the error handling and
related DO NOTHING support are the next pair of things that patch needs
work on. I'd rather see that sorted out than to march onward to
inheritance without the fundamentals even nailed down yet.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us

Attachment Content-Type Size