Re: MERGE command for inheritance

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Boxuan Zhai <bxzhai2010(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MERGE command for inheritance
Date: 2010-08-10 14:15:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/08/10 12:38, Boxuan Zhai wrote:
> The difficult way is to generate the plans for children table in planner, as
> the other commands like UPDATE and DELETE. However, because the structure of
> MERGE plan is much more complex than the ordinary ModifyTable plans, this
> job may not as simple as we expected. We need to adjust both the main plan
> and the
> merge actions to fit the children tables, which is not straight forward.

This the approach you'll have to take. But actually, I'm surprised it
doesn't happen to just work already. It should be opaque to the merge
facility that the reference to the parent target table has inherited
child tables - expanding the inherited table to scans of all the
children should already be handled by the planner.

--
Heikki Linnakangas