Re: dynamically allocating chunks from shared memory

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Markus Wanner" <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dynamically allocating chunks from shared memory
Date: 2010-08-09 20:34:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I don't think it's going to be too easy to provide, short of (as
> Tom says) moving to the MySQL model of many threads working in a
> single process.

Well, it's a bit misleading to refer to it as the MySQL model. It's
used by Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Informix, and Sybase. IBM DB2
supports four different process models, and OS threads in a single
process is the default for them on an OS with good threading
support; otherwise they default to one process per connection.

Just because MySQL uses a particular technique doesn't
*automatically* mean it's a bad one; it's just not in itself a
confidence-builder. ;-)

-Kevin