Re: NASA needs Postgres - Nagios help

From: Michael Friedrich <michael(dot)friedrich(at)univie(dot)ac(dot)at>
To: "Sean E(dot) Connolly" <connollys1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: daniel(dot)p(dot)duncavage(at)nasa(dot)gov, brian(dot)d(dot)martin(at)nasa(dot)gov, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NASA needs Postgres - Nagios help
Date: 2010-07-19 19:38:47
Lists: pgsql-general

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] NASA needs Postgres - Nagios help
From: Sean E. Connolly <connollys1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Michael Friedrich <michael(dot)friedrich(at)univie(dot)ac(dot)at>,
daniel(dot)p(dot)duncavage(at)nasa(dot)gov, brian(dot)d(dot)martin(at)nasa(dot)gov
Date: 2010-07-19 21:23

> Fine, so there will be a lot of boring modifying of the src and
> associated scripts (if the license permits), but "Not Supported"
> doesn't mean it can't be done. It all depends on how much hacking one
> wants to do.

Well depends if boring or not - more refreshing than libdbi it will be,
just like ocilib was on Oracle. I am familiar with the code, so let's
see. I've started a little research today on libpq and also prepared the
IDOUtils source for usage with libpq.

https://git.icinga.org/?p=icinga-core.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/mfriedrich/pgsql

Licensing problems shouldn't happen in case of GPL on *DOUtils.

> Maybe I am reading it wrong, but nagios/ndoutils-1.4b9/src/db.c is
> loaded with #ifdef USE_PGSQL connection functions. Some of the PGSQL
> specific functions in ndo2db.c are commented out, but are at least there.

Yep you are right. I remembered a commit where this has been completely
dropped, but in that case it was just the configure detection and
AC_DEFINE routines. In IDOUtils this was gone, but as mentioned above,
I've re-added that and prepared the code for libpq in order to bring
this todo a bit more to reality.

Kind regards,
Michael

--
DI (FH) Michael Friedrich

Vienna University Computer Center

email: michael(dot)friedrich(at)univie(dot)ac(dot)at
phone: +43 1 4277 14359
fax: +43 1 4277 14279
web: http://www.univie.ac.at/zid

Icinga Core& IDOUtils Developer