Re: SHOW TABLES

From: Jesper Krogh <jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SHOW TABLES
Date: 2010-07-15 16:57:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2010-07-15 18:07, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010, Thom Brown wrote:
>
> > If it's only a psql problem, why implement it as SQL? Is it just
> > so we're not adding keywords specifically to psql? In that case,
> > it shouldn't support QUIT.
>
> Personally, I think this is somethign that should go into the backend
> ... I'd like to be able to write perl scripts that talk to the
> backend without having to remember all the various system tables I
> need to query / join to get the same results as \d gives me in psql
> ... same for any interface language, really ...

Moving it into the backend (together with the other commands) would
also solve this usabillity issue:

WARNING: You are connected to a server with major version 8.4,
but your psql client is major version 8.3. Some backslash commands,
such as \d, might not work properly.

testdb \d testtable
ERROR: column "reltriggers" does not exist
LINE 1: SELECT relhasindex, relkind, relchecks, reltriggers, relhasr...

-- ^
Jesper