Re: Tags missing from GIT mirror?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tags missing from GIT mirror?
Date: 2010-05-12 20:11:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Florian Pflug wrote:
> On May 12, 2010, at 21:52 , Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
>> David Christensen wrote:
>>
>>> Is there anything to do about the missing tags in git? I've wished for those to be available as well.
>>>

>> Sure, fix fromcvs to emit them. How is your ruby?
>>

> Where does one find the version of fromcvs used to feed git.postgresql.org? I might give it a shot.
>
> I can't promise anything, though - my ruby-fu is OK, but my cvs-fu is badly lacking...

Fix the tip version. You'll need fromcvs and rcsparse from
<http://ww2.fs.ei.tum.de/~corecode/hg>. We already know that the version
used on the community repo is broken. The version I am using on my
github mirror is holding up OK. There is a recipe for setting up a
mirror on my blog:
<http://people.planetpostgresql.org/andrew/index.php?/archives/74-Gory-details.html>.
Of course, we might also find some other brokenness if we try to import
all the tags. Also, be aware of this (from
<http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/cvs2git.html>):

Differences between CVS and git branch/tag models: CVS allows a
branch or tag to be created from arbitrary combinations of source
revisions from multiple source branches. It even allows file
revisions that were never contemporaneous to be added to a single
branch/tag. Git, on the other hand, only allows the full source
tree, as it existed at some instant in the history, to be branched
or tagged as a unit. Moreover, the ancestry of a git revision makes
implications about the contents of that revision. This difference
means that it is fundamentally impossible to represent an arbitrary
CVS history in a git repository 100% faithfully.

cheers

andrew