Re: 100% of CPU utilization postgres process

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Hashimoto Yuya <hill_climb(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, depesz(at)depesz(dot)com
Subject: Re: 100% of CPU utilization postgres process
Date: 2010-01-26 22:12:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Hashimoto Yuya wrote:
> Judging from the result, I could see that stats collector process
> caused this unusually high CPU utilization rate.
> I found similar problem at
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-06/msg00934.php,
> although there seemed
> no clear cause proven nor the statement that it's because of postgres bug.

Right, that thread concluded with
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-06/msg01026.php where
Tom suggested it looked like a FreeBSD bug on that version. I just poked
around a bit, and there do seem to have been a number of bugs in their
poll() implementation in various versions of that OS, so it seems
reasonable this is just another one of those.

Note sure if Depez is reading this list or not, just added him to the cc
list here. Herbert, did you ever get anywhere with tracking this issue down?

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com