Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql
Date: 2010-01-19 19:52:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jeff Davis wrote:
>> I'm not convinced that we should start adding syntax helpers like that
>> to psql. For now it is an arbitrary subset of MySQL stuff, are we going
>> to add oracle/db2/mssql/drizzle/mariadb and whatnot later on?
>> Also I can already see people asking "well you already know that this is
>> that command - why not emulate it fully?".
>
> Good points. However, it only takes effect in interactive mode, so I
> don't see it as a promise to do much. I'll make an analogy to:
>
> $ git difff
> git: 'difff' is not a git-command. See 'git --help'.
>
> Did you mean this?
> diff

well the actual output is just:

:~$ git difff
git: 'difff' is not a git-command. See 'git --help'.

which is more or less the same as:

postgres=# \mysql
Invalid command \mysql. Try \? for help.

so I don't really see why we need to add some random second guessing of
what the user actually wanted (and if he is indeed a mysql refugee he
can always use "help" and go on from there).

Stefan