Re: Removing pg_migrator limitations

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Removing pg_migrator limitations
Date: 2009-12-24 22:23:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> As far as the ability to add enum values using ALTER TYPE, it seems we
> would need a pg_enum.enumnum column like we do for pg_attribute.attnum
> and order on that rather than pg_enum.oid. (Binary upgrade would still
> need to preserve oids.)

I don't that's necessarily a good way to go - being able to sort by the
actual stored value is an efficiency point. I think we might need to
look at implementing a more extensible enum type, which would allow new
values to be appended to and possibly inserted into the list of labels,
but anyway that's really a separate subject from pg_migrator.

cheers

andrew