Re: Range types

From: Scott Bailey <artacus(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Range types
Date: 2009-12-16 18:57:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ok, silly question here. But how do you determine the length of a
continuous range? By definition length of [a, b) and (a, b] = b-a. But
what about (a,b) and [a,b]? Are we saying that because they are
continuous, the difference between values included in the range and
those excluded are so infinitesimally small so as not to matter? Thus
length (a,b) == length [a,b] == length [a,b)? And if that is the case,
does the inclusiveness of the range really even matter?

And can anyone point me to a reference for working with continuous
ranges? Google just insists that I spelled contiguous wrong.

Scott