Re: Proposal: USING clause for DO statement

From: Petr Jelinek <pjmodos(at)pjmodos(dot)net>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: USING clause for DO statement
Date: 2009-11-21 17:00:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I don't see point in having parameters for DO as an utility command. If
you need to reuse some value you can define those variables at the
beginning of code block in the language itself (in DECLARE section in
plpgsql for example), defining them in outer SQL command does not really
help anything. Now, if/when we add support to put DO inside standard sql
query, it would be vastly more useful to be able to use parameters. But
adding that support will be probably least of our problems if we try to
do that, and we might even want to use different syntax/behavior then,
so I would really not rush with this.

--
Regards
Petr Jelinek (PJMODOS)