Re: Listen / Notify rewrite

From: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Chernow <andrew(at)esilo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Listen / Notify rewrite
Date: 2009-11-13 13:47:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> spill to disk and need an efficient storage mechanism. The natural
> implementation of this in Postgres would be a table, not the slru. If

This is what I think the people's real problem is, the implementation becomes a
more complex when including payloads (larger ones even more so). I think its a
side-track to discuss queue vs condition variables. Whether a notify is 20
bytes through the network or 8192 bytes doesn't change its design or purpose,
only its size.

Calling this a creeping feature is quite a leap.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC