Re: Listen / Notify rewrite

From: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Chernow <andrew(at)esilo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Listen / Notify rewrite
Date: 2009-11-13 02:32:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> and we should stop. The world contains infinite amounts of lameness,
> but that's the world's problem, not ours. There is zero evidence that

+1

> this feature is only useful for stupid purposes, and some evidence
> (namely, the opinions of esteemed community members) that it is useful
> for at least some non-stupid purposes.

The unexpected application of a feature can be creative or innovative, which I
firmly believe is something this community embraces. How many ways can a screw
driver be used ... think MacGyver :) Deteriming whether it's creative vs.
stupid would require an understanding of the context in which it was applied.
For example, using our screw driver to remove a splinter would be rather stupid,
IMHO ;)

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC