Re: Listen / Notify rewrite

From: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Listen / Notify rewrite
Date: 2009-11-12 02:21:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Premature optimization is the root of all evil ;-). Unless you've done
> some profiling and can show that this is a hot spot, making it more
> complicated isn't the thing to be doing now.

I'm thinking of how our system uses/abuses notifies, and began wondering
if several thousand backends listening with a large queue would perform
decently behind a linear search. At this point, I have no data either
way; only an assumption based off being burnt by sequential scans in the
past ;)

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC