Re: COPY enhancements

From: Emmanuel Cecchet <manu(at)asterdata(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Emmanuel Cecchet <Emmanuel(dot)Cecchet(at)asterdata(dot)com>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: COPY enhancements
Date: 2009-10-07 15:45:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Emmanuel Cecchet <manu(at)asterdata(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Robert Haas wrote:

>>> My failure to have read the patch is showing here, but it seems to me
>>> that error logging to a table could be problematic: if the transaction
>>> aborts, we'll lose the log. If this is in fact a problem, we should
>>> be implementing logging to a file (or stdout) FIRST.
>>>

>> I don't think this is really a problem. You can always do a SELECT in the
>> error table after the COPY operation if you want to diagnose what happened
>> before the transaction rollbacks.
>>

> Uhhh.... if the transaction has aborted, no new commands (including
> SELECT) will be accepted until you roll back.

You are suggesting then that it is the COPY command that aborts the
transaction. That would only happen if you had set a limit on the number
of errors that you want to accept in a COPY command (in which case you
know that there is something really wrong with your input file and you
don't want the server to process that file).

manu

--
Emmanuel Cecchet
Aster Data Systems