Re: How useful is the money datatype?

From: Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1(at)burntmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How useful is the money datatype?
Date: 2009-10-05 23:42:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Guy Rouillier wrote:
>> Christophe Pettus wrote:
>>> Is that not NUMERIC?
>> No, that is not NUMERIC. All numeric types are stored as binary
>> representations. Packed decimal is not. Perhaps an example would
>> clarify. The number 1234 would be represented as follows:
>
> I think you are wrong. The Postgres documentation say:

You are correct, I am wrong, as private emails also pointed out. I
should read more carefully. This list is rapidly self-correcting ;).
Thanks.

The IBM implementation provided language libraries (usually COBOL) that
also supported packed decimal, so precision was maintained throughout
the entire application stack.

--
Guy Rouillier