Re: Inappropriate failure conditions in foreign_data regression test

From: Martin Pihlak <martin(dot)pihlak(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inappropriate failure conditions in foreign_data regression test
Date: 2009-10-05 13:25:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> By chance I noticed that the foreign_data regression test fails if run
> in an installation where "bob" is a live user. It appears to be
> assuming that half a dozen other fairly common names don't belong to
> real users, either. Could we make this a little less fragile? Maybe

Attached is a patch that attempts to fix that -- user mappings are now
created for "regress_test_missing_role" instead of "bob" or "baz".

> call them no_such_user_N. Or for that matter do we really need quite
> so many tests of the same error condition?

The code paths leading to those error conditions are different (or at
least they should be). The initial aim was to get as much test coverage
as possible, but I guess the tests could be simplified if this is turning
out to be a maintenance burden

regards,
Martin

Attachment Content-Type Size
foreign_data_regression.patch text/x-diff 5.3 KB