Re: postgres-r

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>
Cc: Suno Ano <suno(dot)ano(at)sunoano(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, postgres-r-general(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres-r
Date: 2009-08-15 15:44:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

[ CC'ing to the postgres-r mailing list ]

Mark Mielke wrote:
> On 08/12/2009 12:04 PM, Suno Ano wrote:
>> can anybody tell me, is there a roadmap with regards to
>> http://www.postgres-r.org ?

I'm glad you're asking.

>> I would love to see it become production-ready asap.

Yes, me too. Do you have some spare cycles to spend? I'd be happy to
help you getting started. However, I have a 16 days old daughter at
home, so please don't expect response times under a few days ;-)

> Even a breakdown of what is left to do might be useful in case any of us
> want to pick at it. :-)

The TODO file from the patch is a good place to start from. For the sake
of simplicity, I've attached it.

I've written a series of posts covering various topics of Postgres-R
about a year ago. Here are the links, following the discussions
down-thread might be interesting as well.

Postgres-R: current state of development, Jul 15 2008:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-07/msg00735.php

Postgres-R: primary key patches, Jul 16 2008
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-07/msg00777.php

Postgres-R: tuple serialization, Jul 22 2008
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-07/msg00969.php

Postgres-R: internal messaging, Jul 23 2008
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-07/msg01051.php

Some random updates to last year's "current state of development" that
come to mind:

* I've adjusted to the signaling to use the signal
multiplexer code that recently landed on HEAD.
* Work on the initialization and recovery stuff is
progressing slowly, but steadily.
* The tuple serialization code is being refactored ATM
to get a lot smaller and easier to understand and
debug.

That should get you an impression on the current state of development, I
think. Please feel free to ask more specific questions.

Regards

Markus Wanner

P.S.: Sanu, did you note the addition of the link to the Postgres-R
mailing list, which you pointed out was hard to find?

Attachment Content-Type Size
TODO text/plain 8.7 KB