Re: Alpha releases: How to tag

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Alpha releases: How to tag
Date: 2009-08-07 21:37:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> David Fetter wrote:
>

>> This is a pretty serious drawback. If we're going to require that
>> people send migration scripts when they change the on-disk format,
>> this needs to be easy.
>>

> But, are we?

I think it's a lot more nebulous than that. At the same time I think the
days when we can blithely change the on-disk format with hardly a
thought for migration are over. IOW, there's agreement things have to
change, but the exact shape of the change is not yet clear (at least to
me) ;-)

cheers

andrew