Re: SE-PostgreSQL Specifications

From: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Greg Williamson <gwilliamson39(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>, Joshua Brindle <method(at)manicmethod(dot)com>
Subject: Re: SE-PostgreSQL Specifications
Date: 2009-08-04 02:42:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Stephen Frost wrote:
> KaiGai,
>
> * KaiGai Kohei (kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com) wrote:
>> So, we may be able to modify the development plan as follows:
>> * 2nd CommitFest (15-Sep)
>> - security abstraction layer
>> (- largeobject permission)
>>
>> * 3rd CommitFest (15-Nov)
>> - basic functionality of SE-PostgreSQL
>>
>> * 4th CommitFest (15-Jan)
>> - full functionality of SE-PostgreSQL
>> (row-level controls, filesystem permissions, ...)
>
> Not to throw water on this right from the get-go, but I think getting
> the security abstraction and basic SE-PostgreSQL functionality (based on
> existing PG permissions) into 8.5 will be enough of a stretch.
> row-level security needs to be implement in PG proper first, before we
> can add the SE-PG hooks for it. That's going to be a serious amount of
> work by itself, and is something which is extremely unlikely to make
> sense to commit that late in the cycle.

It seems to me it is a bit early to conclude what feature will be
included into 8.5 and what feature is not so.
The above plan is a very rough sketch.
Anyway, what I would like to say is I can agree to focus on the security
abstraction layer earlier than SE-PostgreSQL feature.

--
OSS Platform Development Division, NEC