Re: user connection properties

From: Isabella Ghiurea <isabella(dot)ghiurea(at)nrc-cnrc(dot)gc(dot)ca>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Scott Mead <scott(dot)lists(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: user connection properties
Date: 2009-07-16 15:56:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Kevin,
I'm on with your comments , but I don't think optional is the right
word,.
This information should be collected in one of the internal table,
next to client's host ip and user name . You can get this from JDBC
connection property or any other programing language user connection
properties.This is a "must feature" when you need to know what's been
running in your database server and wish to make some SQL tunning.
BTW: I don't know to much about PG 's " feature wish list " , if we
get more feedback from some of the Gurus we can add this one to the
list.
Isabella

Kevin Grittner wrote:

> Scott Mead <scott(dot)lists(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> > Isabella Ghiurea <isabella(dot)ghiurea(at)nrc-cnrc(dot)gc(dot)ca> wrote:
>
> >> From which internal tables/views I can get the user connection
> >> application/job name ? (pg_stat _activity has the client ip
> >> address only)
>
> > Unlike Oracle, PG doesn't give you the remote application name.
>
> Sybase ASE and Microsoft SQL Server both give the connecting
> application a way to specify an application name, too. When that's
> available, it can occasionally help sort out what's what. If we were
> to add that, I assumed we'd want to make it optional (for
> compatibility).
>
> -Kevin

Isabella A. Ghiurea

Isabella(dot)Ghiurea(at)nrc-cnrc(dot)gc(dot)ca
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre | http://www1.cadc-ccda.hia-iha.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/
National Research Council of Canada, Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics
5071 West Saanich Road, Victoria BC V9E 2E7, Canada
Phone: 250 363-3446 fax: 250 363-0045