Re: Maintenance Policy?

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Maintenance Policy?
Date: 2009-07-12 21:59:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
> I'd suggest that we publish an official policy, with the following dates
> for "EOL":
> 7.4 2009-08-01 ...
> 8.4 2014-08-01

What would such forward-looking statements even mean for a
community-driven project?

I assume for a commercial product, such a statement would mean
something like "I could get my money back or sue for breach of
contract or similar if the vendor stops providing support before
such a date."

For an open source project, would such a statement really mean
anything more than "we'll provide support as long as some
community members feel like it, and we guess that's about 5 years"?

If so, what?