Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
Date: 2009-06-08 08:56:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Tom Lane<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> ... but I'm not at all excited about cluttering the
>> long-term project history with a zillion micro-commits. One of the
>> things I find most annoying about reviewing the current commit history
>> is that Bruce has taken a micro-commit approach to managing the TODO
>> list --- I was seldom so happy as the day that disappeared from CVS,
>> because of the ensuing reduction in noise level.

For better or worse, git also includes a command "git-rebase" that can
collapse such micro-commits into a larger one.

Quoting the git-rebase man page:
A range of commits could also be removed with rebase. If we have the
following situation:
E---F---G---H---I---J topicA
then the command
git-rebase --onto topicA~5 topicA~3 topicA
would result in the removal of commits F and G:
E---H´---I´---J´ topicA

While I wouldn't recommend using this for historical revisionism, I
imagine it could be useful during code-review time when the
micro-commits (from both the patch submitter and patch reviewer)
are interesting. After the review, the commits could be collapsed
into meaningful-sized-chunks just before they're merged into the
official branches.