Re: Managing multiple branches in git

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Managing multiple branches in git
Date: 2009-06-03 16:38:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andres Freund wrote:
> On 06/03/2009 06:17 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> I think the appropriate question is why doesn't it work on Windows,
>>> and is that fixable? Without having looked, I'm guessing the issue
>>> is that it depends on hardlinks or symlinks --- and we know those are
>>> available, as long as you're using recent Windows with NTFS. Which
>>> does not sound like an unreasonable baseline requirement for someone
>>> committing from Windows.
>> I think it could probably be made to work on WIndows if really necessary
>> (e.g. by translating into perl).
> Is the fact that its implemented as a shell script the real problem?
> Isn't it more that "symlinks" aka Junction Points are really dangerous
> <= WinXP? (Deleting a symlink recurses to the target and deletes there).

You have carefully left out the first sentence of my reply. Neither of
the committers who actually do much work on Windows (namely Magnus and
me) commit direct from *any* version of Windows. And the whole point of
this was to overcome an issue relating to commits, so it should not
affect anyone except a committer.

And yes, we know about junction points. I don't think either of us is
doing any development work on XP. I do most of my Windows work on my
laptop, which has Vista (and thus mklink as well as junction points).

And yes, the fact that it's a shell script can be a problem if you're
not using a Unix-like shell environment.

cheers

andrew