Re: [rfc] unicode escapes for extended strings

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [rfc] unicode escapes for extended strings
Date: 2009-04-17 19:28:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marko Kreen wrote:
> + if (c > 0x7F)
> + {
> + if (GetDatabaseEncoding() != PG_UTF8)
> + yyerror("Unicode escape values cannot be used for code point values above 007F when the server encoding is not UTF8");
> + saw_high_bit = true;
> + }

Is that really what we want to do? ISTM that one of the uses of this is
to say "store the character that corresponds to this Unicode code point
in whatever the database encoding is", so that \u00a9 would become an
encoding independent way of designating the copyright symbol, for instance.

cheers

andrew