case insensitive like searches

From: Mark Dueck <mark(at)dueck(dot)bz>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: case insensitive like searches
Date: 2009-04-13 15:59:11
Lists: pgsql-admin

Is there a way to make Postgres do case insensitive like searches? I
know you can use ilike instead, but I don't have control of the
software. Is there a plan to enable this in the future?

Can I recompile Postgres to make like searches do the same as ilike, or
is it easier to create a new character encoding that will be case
insensitive?

Thanks,
Mark