Re: Finding out on exactly what I am stuck

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: Péter Kovács <maxottovonstirlitz(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Finding out on exactly what I am stuck
Date: 2009-04-13 16:35:29
Lists: pgsql-admin

Péter Kovács <maxottovonstirlitz(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> 2009/4/13 Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>:
>> Péter Kovács <maxottovonstirlitz(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>> I found the source of the problem: the client
>>> application made SQL calls in invalid sequences.

>> Could you share information about what you did, what you would like
>> or expect as an error message, and what you got instead? It might
>> help us improve PostgreSQL.

> the same JDBC connection was used simultaneously (in
> multiple threads) for various selects and updates

That would do it, all right -- the JDBC spec says that applications
should not assume support for concurrent access by multiple threads.
The only exception I can recall offhand is that Statement.cancel may
be invoked by a separate thread.

Based on your report, who knows -- maybe we could guard against this
in the JDBC driver....

Thanks for the information.

-Kevin